Saturday, January 13, 2007

The end of my week - finally!!

Unlike most working people, I officially work 6 days a week, sometimes 7 depending on the amount of work I have to complete within a specific time frame. My main job function is my company employee newsletter, which is published twice in a month. It's rather hectic and challenging, which is why at times, i do not take my off-days and just carry it forward to the following week. How it works up here at Gentings is you have an option of taking your off-days weekly (meaning, you get one day of in a week) or monthly (you work 24 days at a stretch and take 4 days off in a row). My option was of course weekly, and i chose Sunday's to be my off-days. Usually, we are given the privilege of taking a half day the day before we go off, which means, today i get to leave the office by 3:00 p.m.
The weather this past week hasn't been very friendly. It's been raining, misty and windy. Work wise, the week was not as crazy as past weeks. Things have calmed down for now, which is good i should say. However, yesterday was a bit crazy (but not as super-duper crazy as it gets at times). I was asked to step in at the last minute to conduct new staff orientation (yes, we conduct orientation for staff on a weekly basis). This was my first time, and there wasn't any experienced people around to assist me. One of our clerks assisted me, but he too had not done this before. It was a pretty straight forward process actually; all i needed to do was tell them where they should report to the following day and at what time, then proceed and distribute their overtime cards. Sounds like a breeze right, but wait, there were 200 plus of them. After I completed the whole thing, I think it was a disaster!! I hope in future when I need to conduct this again, I would be more prepared. It was because didn't know what to expect that I fumbled here and there.
I am looking forward to this weekend. I have taken leave on Monday to take my mummy to get her medication. One extra day for me to be away from this mountain - you can't imagine how great it feels!

No comments: